Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Best Military Wife Moment

You know that moment when the resounding HOOAH (for the Army folks) goes off in your head even though it's not something you ever say.  Yea, that's the moment I'm supposed to talk about.  Problem is I have to figure out what it is first...

I guess my best military wife moment would be the day my husband was medically cleared to deploy.

I realize that sounds odd so here is the backstory...
In April of 2008 we learned that his unit would be transferring troops to two other units (both based in Florida) for deployment.  My husband (then boyfriend) was assured that since he was in school full time and also still a freshman he was nondeployable and would not have to go.  He asked every drill and was told the same thing, "No you won't go."  July drill rolled around and he was told that orders had been cut and yes he would be deploying.  Turns out his unit decided not to tell the other unit he was nondeployable when his name was selected at random.
Training began in October 2008.  We got married at the end of October when he was home on a three day break.  Hubby mobilized at the end of November.  He got to come home for Christmas and was then supposed to leave the country sometime in January.
Shortly after reporting back from Christmas Exodus, my husband started to experience a sharp radiating pain in his lower abdomen.  He was seen by multiple doctors and multiple tests were run.  Nothing could be found.  He was told he could not deploy (or come home) until the issue was resolved.  After three months of thinking we were safe from deployment and then five months emotionally preparing for the deployment...the thought of it being all for nothing was devastating.  Don't get me wrong, I didn't want my husband to be gone.  I just wanted the issue resolved, I wanted my husband to be okay, and I wanted us to be able to move forward with whatever needed to be done.
Finally the last doctor he way gave him an anti-inflammatory to take.  The doctor said that if the med fixed the problem then great, if it didn't then it would narrow down the possible causes.  A follow up appointment was scheduled and my husband was sent on his way.  Meanwhile the unit left the country the day before my husband's follow up appointment so of course my husband was left behind.

I anxiously awaited the phone call for what the doctor had to say.  I was in college at the time and was sitting outside my first class of the day when my phone rang.  Hearing the words, "He cleared me.  I can go." brought tears to my eyes.  It was a relief I never expected.  I could never have imagined that I would cry happy tears at the thought of my husband deploying.  It was a very weird, surreal feeling.  But those words meant that my husband was okay and that the emotional energy used to prepare for a deployment that shouldn't be happening wasn't a waste.
It is a moment I will never forget.

Don't forget to check out Wives of Faith to read about other favorite military wife moments.

4 comments:

Steph said...

The back-and-forth can be so hard, I know what you mean. I'm glad everything has worked out for y'all!

Jolene said...

Sometimes people don't understand why our men are "excited" to deploy and why a part of us is happy for them. I really can relate to your last paragraph where you wrote about "tears of joy" - such strange emotions I've learned to live with in this military life!

Pattie said...

I get that feeling! Even though it seems backwards...thank you for sharing!

~jill said...

I agree with y'all. I hate when people found out my DH is deploying and knew he would before he enlisted and they say "Well, why did he sign up then?" Grrrr. I think they all deserve the greatest respect to go and I get the "want you to go but don't want you to leave feeling". great post.