Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year and New Possibilities...

A new year has begun.  I couldn't remember if I made any resolutions last year so I went back through my blog and found this post.  Guess things didn't go so well.  I kept up the Bible reading for awhile and I established the cleaning schedule but once Emy came along, that too fell to the bottom of the priority list.  Now that we have survived the newborn phase and a routine is very slowly establishing itself, I have hope that this year can be better.  Could it end up the same as any other time I've made these goals?  Sure.  But this year its not really about me.  I now have a new little person in my life who needs me.  And not just to meet her physical needs.  She needs me to try to be the best me I can.  Good or Bad, she will spend her entire life looking to me as an example.  It would be in my best interest to better myself before she can remember or understand.
So here is to a new year.  Twelve small goals that could make a world of difference!
1. To breastfeed at least until Emy's first birthday, maybe longer.
2. Pastor Eddie challenged us to read at least one book a month.  I plan to accept that challenge and will try to blog about each book to keep myself accountable.
3. Yet again, my goal is to read at least one bible verse daily.  Ideally, I'd like to read the Bible through in a year but if I start small, maybe I stand a better chance of following through.
4. To follow the weekly cleaning schedule I set up before Emy was born.
5. To make a weekly menu and follow it which will involve cooking more meals at home and eating out less.  As a breastfeeding mom, I need to be more conscious about what I eat.
6. To figure out some kind of exercise routine.  My true goal is to buy some of those shape up shoes (or something equivalent) and walk three times a week.  I have never exercised regularly and I think now that I am a mom, its a good time to change that.
7. To take my vitamin daily.  Since I am breastfeeding, I am supposed to continue taking my prenatal vitamin and well I am horrible at remembering.  That needs to change.
8. To brush my teeth twice daily.  I've always brushed my teeth in the morning but I always forget at night.
9. To watch television less.  Since I am at home all day now, the television is almost always on.  That just can't be good for my brain so I need to pick how much time I will allow myself daily and stick to it.
10. To set a regular date routine with hubby.  It wasn't a priority when it was just us but with Emberlynn in our lives now, we need to make sure we set aside time for just us.
11. To be more consistent with Emy's bedtime routine.  We have started one but we need to be more consistent about it now that Emy is starting to get older.
12. To drink at least one bottle of plain water (not the flavored water I love) daily.  I have never been a water drinker but I really need to be.
...I realize that most of my goals are about health and time management but those are areas of my life that have always needed improvement.  Now that I have Emy as motivation, it is time to seriously improve myself so that I can be the best mom I possibly can.  If I'm not healthy, I can't be my best.

No comments: