Friday, December 18, 2009

WoF Christmas Carnival Day 7: What Christmas Means To Me

I did not grow up going to church. In fact, I got saved and started regularly attending church by my own decision when I was fifteen years old. When we were in Oklahoma it was assumed that you would be going to church with Nanny (my mom's mom) but I honestly do not remember ever hearing about God or Jesus in my home. But somehow, despite this lack of knowledge, Christmas was never about Santa or presents to me. I think this is another reason I handled the news about Santa so well lol. Even when I was young, as I opened my presents I would take the time to go up to whoever had given me the gift and say thank you before I moved on to the next present. I used to drive my other cousins crazy cause I would always be the last one opening presents. They would rip through their presents without a second thought of giving thanks but I somehow learned the importance of being thankful without knowing who deserved the ultimate thanks for my life. I really don't know what Christmas meant to me in my youth but I can tell you that today it means a wonderful opportunity to spend with family, a season of love and joy that should last year round, and most of all it is the time to celebrate the birth of my Savior (which should also last year roung in my opinion). I hope that I can teach my future children from the start about the true meaning of Christmas.

p.s. click here for the Wives of Faith post for the day.

No comments: